The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)
provides Wheelchair Ramp Specifications, Requirements and ADA guidelines that most business are required to meet. Most residential applications do not need to meet ADA guidelines, requirements and specifications, but they are a good reference point for recommended ramp lengths. Contact your local building inspector for additional information.
- ADA Ramp Slope Requirements of a 1:12 handicap ramp slope ratio which works out to be one foot of ramp for each inch of rise. For instance, for a 20 inch rise requires a 20 foot ADA ramp.
- ADA Specifications require a Minimum 5’ x 5’ Flat area at the top and bottom of the ADA ramp.
- ADA Handicap Ramp Requirements of a Minimum 36 inches of clear space across the handicap ramp.
- ADA Requires a Minimum Platform size is 5’ x 5’
- ADA Requires a Maximum of 30 feet in a single run of wheelchair ramp prior to a rest or turn platform.
- ADA Specifications Requires handrails on both sides of the wheelchair ramp
Please note: This guideline is only intended to highlight our interpretation of some of the ADA wheelchair Ramp Specifications or guidelines and is not intended to replace or supersede ADA handicap ramp requirements. If you need to meet ADA Ramp Requirements, we suggest you consult an ADA Wheelchair Ramp Compliance Consultant.